Spring is here! It’s the perfect time to clear the clutter and freshen up your home. It’s also a good time for some maintenance activities that could help you prevent some costly homeowners insurance claims. Check out these tips for both inside and outside your home.
Inside Your Home:
- Electrical Outlets and Cords: Check electrical outlets and cords for any potential fire hazards such as frayed wires or loose-fitting plugs. Also, ensure outlets, extension cords, and fuse boxes are not overloaded.
- Water Heater: Check for leaks and corrosion, and have them repaired as needed.
- Dryers: Dryer lint can get past the lint trap and build up inside the vent hose. Clean both the clothes dryer exhaust duct and the space under the dryer. Having a clogged hose reduces the dryer’s efficiency and it’s also the one of leading causes of house fires.
- Fire Extinguishers: Check the hose, nozzle and other parts of your fire extinguisher to make sure they are in good condition. Move your fire extinguisher to an accessible place if necessary.
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Spring is a great time to change out batteries in all detectors around the house and make sure they’re in proper working order.
Outside Your Home:
- Roof: Check for any damage from heavy rains and gusty winds and make any necessary repairs to reduce the possibility of leaks.
- Gutters and Downspouts: Clean leaves and other debris from gutters and downspouts to keep water flowing and reduce the possibility of water damage.
- Yard: Trim dead branches from trees and tidy up shrubbery. Keep healthy trees and bushes trimmed and away from utility wires.
- Walkways and Driveways: Repair any cracks and broken or uneven surfaces to provide a safe, level walking area.
While you’re at it, why not dust off your homeowner’s insurance policy. Your home needs a thorough cleaning at least once a year, so does your insurance policy. Call your DTRIC Insurance agent to discuss any home improvements or valuable purchases you’ve made to ensure you’re properly covered.
GET A HOMEOWNERS QUOTE
Our knowledgeable Customer Care representatives can assist you with a free, no-obligation home quote – just call 92-DTRIC (923-8742) or 1-877-923-8742 (Neighbor Islands toll free) to get started. You can also request a homeowners quote online by clicking here. For faster service, be sure to have your current insurance policy handy.
Prefer to work with a DTRIC agent? Find an agent near you.